Ridley Park Online

Ridley Park's Online Digital Community

Two of the most prevalent urban legends we've heard about are "Midgetville" and the borough ordinance regarding the Barnstormers.

Local legend and the book "Weird Pennsylvania" locate Midgetville across the street from Taylor Hospital. Midgetville refers to the legend of a town consisting of scaled-down houses built for little people.
Sportbominable answering a blog about Midgetville on Weird US Message Board says County historian Keith Lockhardt told her the real answer behind Ridley Park's Midgetville.

Sportbominable attributes Keith Lockhardt telling her "English-born cotton broker Norman P. Sloan built the development named "Stoney Brook" around 1911. The homes were built in the style of small English Tudor homes" (with the windows positioned lower on the house than usual by design, it added to the speculation that little people lived in them), "which earned them the moniker "Midgetville." The early residents formed an art colony of sorts and this helped fuel the legend. "He rented the homes--about 12 in all--until about 1928, when he sold them all off. The development remained intact until the late 1960s, but there is no record of any of them ever being inhabited by little people." Since then, many of the homes have been modernized with second stories and vinyl siding, so they don't appear that small anymore."

As for the Barnstormers legend, Dumblaws.com reports an ordinance on the books for Ridley Park: "You cannot walk backwards eating peanuts in front of the Barnstormers Auditorium during a performance." We are satilling looking for the answer to this one.

Views: 4062

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i would like to know if there has ever been a book published regarding the entire history of Ridley Park and Delaware County in general? I was sent, years ago, a copy of some material by a local resident, Gail Dougherty, who lives on Dupont Street. I would be interested in knowing if there is a Ridley Park Historical Society, and if so, do they have any publications for sale?? My last visit to RP was in 2007 when the RP High School class of 1967 - which did not happen due to the merger with Ridley High in 1966 - hosted a fabulous class reunion - organized by Bob Bechtold and friends. It was a great reunion.

RSS

© 2019   Created by RidleyParkOnline.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service